Sunday, December 13, 2015

Never Too Late To Start Riding A Road Bike

Never Too Late To Start Riding A Road Bike

For quite some time I have notice this woman jogging by my house on nearly a daily basis.  She lives down the road from me and while I have no idea how far that may be my sense is her home is within a mile or so of mine.  I mention her only because as I think back on what lead me to return to riding bikes I believe that seeing her jog by nearly every day inspired me to pull out a hybrid bike I bought second hand some time ago.

When I first started noticing her jog by I could tell she was working hard and that she was new to jogging.  Her efforts reminded me of when I tried running some years back and how hard it was for me to get started and how impossible it seemed that I could ever run even a 5K event.  Well, within a month I went from speed walking to running 4 miles, but I also remember how much I had to push myself and how much agony I felt at the end of each run that I did.  I give her a lot of credit for her effort, but at my age I didn't want to go thru the punishment of running again. But I wanted to "get out there" again and turned to my bike for the answer.

And so, sometime in July of 2015 I began riding my hybrid bike. The first couple of rides I took couldn't have been more than 2 miles, and soon I used my car to determine a route and distance to ride.  Before long I was riding 5 to 8 miles a day and very soon the same daily ride began to feel more like a routine and less like riding. I then expanded my rides and started to explore more distance trips until one day when a road biker and his female companion rode passed me leaving me feel as though I had been only chugging along. The kicker was that the bike rider and his companion were older than me and on top of that they both passed me while we were riding up hill.

That day it became clear to me that it's Never Too Late To Start Riding Road Bikes and that is when I rekindled an old passion of mine for riding road bikes. Please watch the video below.


 
 #roadbike #cycling

No comments:

Post a Comment